This module is aimed at developing effective managerial skills essential to success in the hospitality industry. Topics include how to recruit, select, and train; increase productivity; control labour costs; communicate effectively; manage conflict and change; and use time management techniques. The importance of self-development to enable career progression is emphasised.
Supervision in the Hospitality Industry
- Fundamental management responsibilities.
- Effective on-the-job communication.
- Recruitment of new employees.
- The importance of training within an organisation and the manager’s role in training.
- Forecast business volume using the base adjustment forecasting method and the moving average forecasting method.
- Employee coaching, counselling, and disciplining. Components of a progressive disciplinary programme
- Managers as team leaders.
- Increasing employee participation in department activities.
- Time management
- Describe actions that managers can take to minimise employee resistance to change.
- Ongoing personal development and the importance of a personal career development plan.