This course introduces students to the world of spas, taking a comprehensive look at subjects ranging from the history and cultural development of spas, to spa terminology and financial realities. The course takes students through a typical day from a spa director’s perspective, examines the qualities of outstanding service, and discusses industry trends and future directions.
Spa: A Comprehensive Introduction
- Types of spas and spa-goer, spa philosophy and the integration of mind, body, and spirit.
- Spa practices and traditions in various world cultures throughout history.
- Evolution of the spa industry and the influence of spa on contemporary society.
- Social, market, technology, treatment, industry, and environmental trends in the spa industry.
- Achieving superior service by creating memorable experiences.
- Various treatments in the areas of massage, fitness, hydrotherapy, body treatments, and skin care.
- Revenue and cost centers
- Career opportunities in the spa industry.
- The job role of resort, destination, and day spa directors.
- Leadership strategies and skills.
- Ethical issues that affect spas.